Sunday 10 August 2008

"Tis the season..."

Time flies and, as I get older, I am left breathless trying to catch up with it! So I found myself unusually unprepared for the beginning of the new season. No not Autumn or Festive, but the new football season!

Having lived most of my married life in a male dominated household I kind of got used to the devotion of my men to the beautiful game. In fact I prided myself on the fact that I could be relied upon to know just what was going on, where and who scored the winning goal. My now husband was astounded by my knowledge of the game when we first started dating and even now I take an active interest in what's going on. If you can't beat them, join them! My eldest son often brags about my ability to know when a certain game is being played, much to his friends astonishment, and will often phone me up to find out rather than leave it to chance.

Nevertheless it's not something I particularly enjoy and was staggered to find out that, in not quite the middle of August, the Community Shield is taking place today, marking what will be the beginning seemingly endless football fest! The commentator was bemoaning the fact that it had been thirteen long weeks since the last season ended and twelve since the FA cup was played. He forgot that we have also had to endure a months worth of European Cup games throughout June/July, albeit without any home nations playing! What with that and the Olympic games we shall be the fittest armchair sports watchers in the UK. Well, when I say "we" I mean "he" ! For I shall take a cursory interest, find out what's happening and go about a normal way of life glad not to be glued to the TV.

No comments: